Please wait while flipbook is loading. For more related info, FAQs and issues please refer to DearFlip WordPress Flipbook Plugin Help documentation.
I was initially looking at only human perception of reality. The I wondered how do we know something is real. How do we judge reality?
I realised we always judge reality and artificiality based on what is natural. It is always a comparative scale that is slowly graduated, and not a definite line, or an absolute universal truth. ( Margolin talks of the boundary problem, politics of the artificial)
So I attempted to showcase that difference by contrasting both human perception of artificiality and environmental existence of artificiality.
The natural is the evolution or adaptation of self or internality to address the external environment. The artificial is changing the external environment , to suit the internal. ( Herbert Simon , Sciences of the artificial)
On the scale from authentic to artificial, the more impact and ecology disrupted by the artifact or artificial, makes it more artificial. Smaller influences, with minor connected ecosystems, like gardens are not as artificial as vast artificial networks, like cities that shape the terrain of the earth.
Comments from Harah :
- Group critique. 1 criticism and 1 take away for yourself.
- Context lends to discourse. – what are the practices, what is happening?
- Do speculation super far. Post Industrial – or Post Design. Speculate big.
- New ways of consuming food, because we are very appearance conscious and particular about the aesthetics of food.
- Speculate the future of food capsule > industries > no more cutlery.
- Map down the trickle down effects > Just queue up at restaurants.
- There is a difference between speculation and science fiction !!!!! Use fact to speculate with Nature.
- Be very factual.
- Play requires imagination.
- Speculate on the culture and behaviour.
- Speculate on how we have created a culture of waste. created this problem. How have we created the cultural problem.
- Lee Kuan Yew public policy contest – rainwater?
- What are people writing about regarding the future?
- Why is the urgency so important to Singapore?
- Food is an extremely important point for Singapore.
- Illustrate in a nicer way?
- Explore the transition from natural to artificial. Himalayan salt sweet, – artificial food for energising and lack of thirst ( Harah’s example) . Inject vitamins into food > Artificial food that GMO > Sick from the organic. > Organic becomes valuable.
- Convince the audience, with the narrative.
- Singapore looks so lush – yet no food security. Superficial Greens.
- At some point artificial converges with the natural. Give examples? Define what you mean? Focus on the food. Example of the butterfly chrysalis.
- The new methods of food – natural.
- Cyclical model – circular economy becomes equlibrium.
- Part of human evolution, narrative. The more knowledge we gain – the more artificial we create.